Feb 27, 2020

Use Catnip

strengthened/clarified M3 header and step titles throughout; other minor edits

←Older revision Revision as of 04:22, 28 February 2020
Line 4: Line 4:
 
==Steps==
 
==Steps==
 
===Exciting a Feline with Catnip’s Aroma===
 
===Exciting a Feline with Catnip’s Aroma===
#Rub fresh catnip on items you want your cat to use. If you’re growing fresh catnip, snip off a handful of stems and leaves and rub them vigorously on scratching posts, new toys, cat carriers, and anything else you hope to draw your cat towards. You may need to repeat the process every 1-2 days to maintain the scent.<ref>https://ift.tt/385K4Dm>
+
#Rub fresh catnip on toys, scratching posts, and more to entice your cat. If you’re growing fresh catnip, snip off a handful of stems and leaves and rub them vigorously on scratching posts, new toys, cat carriers, and anything else you hope to draw your cat towards. You may need to repeat the process every 1-2 days to maintain the scent.<ref>https://ift.tt/385K4Dm>
 
#*Don’t rub fresh catnip on items more than once per day, though, because some cats can become desensitized to the scent if exposed to it all the time.
 
#*Don’t rub fresh catnip on items more than once per day, though, because some cats can become desensitized to the scent if exposed to it all the time.
#Turn cooled catnip tea into a handy catnip spray. Brew up some catnip tea for yourself, then use the rest for your cat! Pour the cooled tea into a spray bottle and use it to add fragrance to scratching posts, toys, and so on. Store the spray in the fridge for up to 3 days—it will start to lose its potency after that.<ref>https://ift.tt/2TqA0zu>
+
#Spritz bottled or homemade catnip spray to draw your cat to items. If you don't have fresh catnip in your garden, this is an equally-great alternative. Buy bottled catnip spray at any pet store, or brew up some catnip tea for yourself and use the rest (once cooled) for your cat! Use the spray to add fragrance to scratching posts, toys, and so on.<ref>https://ift.tt/2TqA0zu>
#*Brew catnip tea by adding of fresh leaves or of dried catnip per of boiling water. Steep it for 5-10 minutes.   
+
#*There's no need to douse items in catnip spray. A light mist from a few quick spritzes is plenty to any catnip-loving feline wild!
#Tie dried catnip inside an old sock for a great toy. Sure, you can buy cat toys that are made to be filled with catnip, but this works just as well. Stuff the foot of an old (but hole-free) tube sock with dried catnip, then tie off the top portion securely. If your cat loves [[Give-Catnip-to-Your-Cat|catnip]], it will go crazy for this simple toy!<ref>https://ift.tt/385K4Dm>
+
#*As with fresh catnip, use the spray no more than once per day. Otherwise, your cat may become desensitized.
  +
#*Brew catnip tea by adding of fresh leaves or of dried catnip per of boiling water. Steep it for 5-10 minutes.
  +
#*Store homemade the spray in the fridge for up to 3 days—it will start to lose its potency after that. Follow the package instructions for storage and potency if you're using bottled catnip spray.   
  +
#Tie dried catnip inside an old sock to make an irresistible reward toy. Sure, you can buy cat toys that are made to be filled with catnip, but this works just as well. Stuff the foot of an old (but hole-free) tube sock with dried catnip, then tie off the top portion securely. If your cat loves [[Give-Catnip-to-Your-Cat|catnip]], it will go crazy for this simple toy!<ref>https://ift.tt/385K4Dm>
 
#*Replace the dried catnip every 3 days or so.  
 
#*Replace the dried catnip every 3 days or so.  
#*Put the toy in a sealed container when your cat isn’t playing with it. This helps preserve the catnip scent and keeps your cat from becoming desensitized to it.
+
#*Give the toy as a reward (no more than once per day) for good behavior, then put it in a sealed container when your cat isn’t playing with it. This helps preserve the catnip scent and keeps your cat from becoming desensitized to it.
 
#Don’t worry if your cat doesn’t seem to like catnip. It’s a myth that all cats go wild over catnip! In reality, only around 50%-70% of cats respond strongly to catnip. The other 30%-50% are either only mildly interested or totally indifferent to it.<ref>https://ift.tt/2VvWIcq>
 
#Don’t worry if your cat doesn’t seem to like catnip. It’s a myth that all cats go wild over catnip! In reality, only around 50%-70% of cats respond strongly to catnip. The other 30%-50% are either only mildly interested or totally indifferent to it.<ref>https://ift.tt/2VvWIcq>
 
#*Catnip sensitivity seems to be an inherited trait that often runs in families.
 
#*Catnip sensitivity seems to be an inherited trait that often runs in families.
Line 20: Line 23:
 
#*Don’t feed any type of catnip to pregnant cats, as it may cause pregnancy complications. They can smell it, just not eat it.
 
#*Don’t feed any type of catnip to pregnant cats, as it may cause pregnancy complications. They can smell it, just not eat it.
 
#*Call your vet if your cat eats catnip that isn’t food-safe, if your pregnant cat eats catnip, or if any cat eats a large amount of catnip.
 
#*Call your vet if your cat eats catnip that isn’t food-safe, if your pregnant cat eats catnip, or if any cat eats a large amount of catnip.
#Add a garnish-sized amount to food to improve a cat’s appetite. Tear 1-2 fresh catnip leaves into small strips, or sprinkle a pinch of dried catnip over your cat’s normal food. While the scent of catnip may inspire your fussy eater to dig in, actually eating catnip may cause them to “mellow out” for up to 30 minutes afterward!<ref>https://ift.tt/385K4Dm>
+
#Add a pinch of fresh or dried catnip to food to get your cat to eat more. Tear 1-2 fresh catnip leaves into small strips, or sprinkle a pinch of dried catnip over your cat’s normal food. While the scent of catnip may inspire your fussy eater to dig in, actually eating catnip may cause them to “mellow out” for up to 30 minutes afterward!<ref>https://ift.tt/385K4Dm>
 
#*Don’t add more catnip than you would use to garnish a dish of human food. Too much catnip can cause diarrhea or vomiting in some cats.
 
#*Don’t add more catnip than you would use to garnish a dish of human food. Too much catnip can cause diarrhea or vomiting in some cats.
 
#*Keep in mind that up to half of all cats aren’t all that interested in catnip, so this may not work as a treat.
 
#*Keep in mind that up to half of all cats aren’t all that interested in catnip, so this may not work as a treat.
#Treat your cat to 1-2 catnip leaves on occasion. Instead of a packaged kitty treat, try using a fresh-plucked catnip leaf as a reward! To limit the chance of tummy troubles, don’t give your cat more than 1-2 leaves at a time, 2-3 times per week.<ref>https://ift.tt/385K4Dm>
+
#Reward your cat after training or for good behavior with 1-2 catnip leaves. Instead of giving a packaged kitty treat after a good [[Train-a-Cat|training session]], try using a fresh-plucked catnip leaf as a reward! To limit the chance of tummy troubles, don’t give your cat more than 1-2 leaves at a time, 2-3 times per week.<ref>https://ift.tt/385K4Dm>
 
#*Remember not to feed catnip to a pregnant cat, though.
 
#*Remember not to feed catnip to a pregnant cat, though.
 
#Store packaged or homemade dried edible catnip in the freezer. Dried catnip is typically inexpensive and widely available at pet supply stores. You may even find it at specialty (human) food markets! Dried catnip’s fragrance and flavor will last for 6-12 months if you stash the bag in the freezer.<ref>https://ift.tt/2VvWIcq>
 
#Store packaged or homemade dried edible catnip in the freezer. Dried catnip is typically inexpensive and widely available at pet supply stores. You may even find it at specialty (human) food markets! Dried catnip’s fragrance and flavor will last for 6-12 months if you stash the bag in the freezer.<ref>https://ift.tt/2VvWIcq>
Line 29: Line 32:
 
#*Unfrozen, un-dried fresh catnip should be used immediately after harvest for the best results.
 
#*Unfrozen, un-dried fresh catnip should be used immediately after harvest for the best results.
   
===Using Catnip Yourself===
+
===Using Catnip for Food or Pest Control===
 
#[[Grow-Catnip|Grow catnip]] to add color and pest protection to your garden. You can grow catnip simply to enjoy its green color and minty fragrance. Or you can use it as a “companion plant” to keep pests like rabbits and rodents—which often don’t like the scent or flavor—away from your other plants. However, your garden may become very popular with the neighborhood cats!
 
#[[Grow-Catnip|Grow catnip]] to add color and pest protection to your garden. You can grow catnip simply to enjoy its green color and minty fragrance. Or you can use it as a “companion plant” to keep pests like rabbits and rodents—which often don’t like the scent or flavor—away from your other plants. However, your garden may become very popular with the neighborhood cats!
 
#*Catnip grows readily in a range of climates without much assistance. In fact, it spreads so rapidly that you may want to grow it in pots regardless of whether you’re keeping it indoors or outdoors.
 
#*Catnip grows readily in a range of climates without much assistance. In fact, it spreads so rapidly that you may want to grow it in pots regardless of whether you’re keeping it indoors or outdoors.


from wikiHow - Recent Changes [en] https://ift.tt/2wUlRDf
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment